We lately noticed how straightforward it’s to open MSG information created by Outlook to avoid wasting e mail, process, or occasion entries on desktop and net. However in the event you can not open MSG information with Outlook, what choice do you’ve gotten? We do share some third-party apps within the hyperlink above, however what you actually need to do is work out why MSG file is just not opening with Outlook and methods to repair it. That is the place this information is available in.
1. Open MSG File With Similar Outlook Model
It undoubtedly doesn’t assist that Outlook has so many variations floating round. If you understand for certain that the MSG file was created by Outlook 2019, then use the identical model to open it too. Possibly you’ve gotten Outlook 2016 put in? Notice that it’s not doable to put in and run two variations of Workplace (Outlook is a part of Workplace suite) on the identical machine. That leaves you two decisions.
- Both uninstall the present model earlier than putting in a distinct one
- Set up Workplace on a distinct laptop and open MSG file with Outlook there
2. Open Manually
Usually, Home windows ought to have the ability to detect the MSG file format and alter the icon to e mail in File Explorer. Like so:
So you’ll be able to merely double-click to open this file with Outlook as Home windows has already related the MSG file format with the proper app. In case you’ll be able to’t see the e-mail emblem or Home windows fails to detect the proper app, right-click on the file and choose Open with > Outlook choice.
Doing so will even instruct Home windows to affiliate MSG file format with Outlook app so that you don’t need to right-click sooner or later. Double-clicking the file ought to work advantageous.
3. Set Default App
Generally, Home windows merely fails to set the default app routinely resulting from a bug or another error. And so you can’t open MSG information with Outlook. However you are able to do so your self too. Let’s set Outlook because the default app for MSG file kind.
1. Press Home windows+I to open Settings and seek for Select a default app for every kind of file and open it.
2. Seek for MSG within the search bar and choose Outlook under to set it because the default app. In my case, it’s already chosen.
4. Disable third Social gathering Antivirus
So your trusted antivirus might have flagged the MSG file as a virus, stopping File Explorer from opening it. Did you see a discover or pop-up from the antivirus to that impact? Test Motion Middle (Home windows + A). If that’s the case and you understand the file to be secure, whitelist it. If not then scan the file manually as soon as after which open it. Lastly, merely disable the antivirus quickly and open the file.
5. Disable Outlook Add-ins
Outlook add-ins are integrations developed by third-party app builders to assist customers combine and use such apps with Outlook. Nonetheless, such add-ins are recognized to trigger all types of points together with the one the place Outlook can’t open MSG information on Home windows. Disable all of them and allow one after the other to search out the one which’s inflicting the battle.
1. Open Outlook and go to the File tab > Choices.
2. Choose Add-Ins on the left aspect. In direction of the underside, you must see a Handle choice. Choose COM Add-Ins within the drop-down menu and click on on Go.
3. Now de-select all add-ins and click on OK.
4. Restart Outlook and examine in the event you can open MSG file with Outlook now. If not, re-enable one add-in at a time.
6. Clear Outlook Temp Recordsdata
Deleting temp information saved by Outlook app may give a brand new life to the app by deleting previous, corrupt information which may be inflicting conflicts.
1. Press Home windows+E to open the File Explorer and enter the trail under within the deal with bar:
C:UserspercentusernamepercentAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsTemporary Web FilesContent.Outlook
If the above folder path doesn’t be just right for you, open Registry Editor from Home windows Search (Home windows+S) and the press Ctrl+F to open the search window. Copy-paste the under textual content and press Enter to start search.
Now copy the folder path (one thing just like what I shared above initially) that you simply see within the deal with bar above in Registry Editor and paste it in File Explorer.
2. Press Ctrl+A to pick out all information contained in the folder after which press Delete button to delete them. Reboot your laptop and examine in the event you can open MSG file with Outlook now.
7. Replace Home windows and Workplace
Updating Home windows OS after which Workplace app to the newest model may help iron out a number of bugs and errors.
To replace Home windows OS:
1. Press Home windows+I to open Settings and go to Home windows Replace. Test for updates and if any, obtain and set up them. You’ll then be requested to Restart your laptop as you’ll be able to see within the screenshot under.
Automated updates for Microsoft Workplace is enabled by default. However if you wish to examine and replace manually:
1. In case you have put in Workplace from Microsoft Retailer, merely open it and go to Library to examine for updates for all apps put in from Retailer.
In case you have put in immediately utilizing setup file, you’ll be able to examine for updates for particular person Workplace apps. To do this:
1. Open Outlook and click on on File > Account > Replace Choices and click on on Replace Now from the record.
To provide you an instance, I’m manually updating Phrase right here however the steps work the identical for Outlook and some other Workplace app.
8. Allow/Disable Unicode Format
How was the Outlook e mail file saved can be essential. Turns on the market are two — MSG and Unicode or ANSI the place the latter is utilized by some older variations of Outlook. On the time of saving the Outlook e mail, you’ll be able to select save the file as Outlook Message Format-Unicode (.msg) to Outlook Message Format (.msg) within the Save as kind drop-down menu. Ask the sender to resend the file within the different format additionally.
If the e-mail lies in your Outlook, observe the steps under to vary the file format from MSG to MSG in ANSI format and vice versa.
To vary Outlook configuration in 2010 and later variations:
Go to File > Choices > Mail and allow or disable choice Use Unicode Format accordingly within the Save messages part.
Make modifications after which attempt opening the file once more with Outlook. The file kind you utilize to avoid wasting and open the e-mail will rely on the Outlook model you’re utilizing too.
9. Rebuild Lengthen.dat File
Lengthen.dat is a file created by Outlook. It’s doable that the file is corrupted resulting in MSG file errors. However there’s a easy technique to power Outlook to recreate the file from scratch.
1. Shut Outlook and all different apps working in your laptop. Press Home windows+E to open File Explorer and seek for prolong.dat file utilizing the search bar.
2. Rename each file that you simply discovered to increase.previous. Merely choose the file and press F2 to take action. Now relaunch Outlook and take a look at opening that MSG file.
10. Restore Workplace
Home windows has a in-built operate to restore and reset apps that may assist a number of widespread and generally severe points. Restore your Workplace model to see if it helps. In my case, it’s 365 model.
1. Press Home windows+I to open Settings and go to Apps > Put in apps.
2. Seek for your put in model of Workplace app, click on on the three-dot icon and choose Modify.
3. Within the pop-up that follows, you should have two choices — Fast Restore and On-line Restore. First attempt fast restore as it’s going to devour much less time and works offline. If Outlook nonetheless can’t open MSG file, attempt on-line restore which takes extra time and desires a steady web connection. Click on on Restore button when performed choosing an choice. It’s possible you’ll must reboot your laptop so save all open work/information.
What’s Your Outlook
Outlook is a sophisticated app with so many variations floating across the net and a number of file extensions that it really works with. However that’s all the time been the case with Microsoft. They all the time had two variations of Skype too. Coming again to the MSG file error on Outlook in Home windows, the error ought to have been resolved by now. It’s largely a case of flawed Outlook shopper or some bug. However as famous within the opening paragraph, you don’t want Outlook to open MSG file.
Take this chance to study how one can change Outlook view or be part of the darkish aspect.