Gmail lately acquired a contemporary coat of paint with a clear design and rounded corners. Whereas it’s a greater transfer general, it provides a small new sidebar on the left for simple entry to Google Meet and Chat. It could come in useful for a few of you who use these providers often, however for others, it’s an eyesore. Right here’s how one can disable the sidebar in Gmail’s new structure.
Points with the brand new Gmail Sidebar
The sidebar has icons of Google Meet, chat, and areas, and sadly, takes up extra space than wanted. Google Meet and Chat existed on Gmail even earlier than the redesign, however they used to remain as choices within the Gmail sidebar itself.
However with the newly redesigned Gmail view, it’s a very new sidebar only for Google communication apps. For Gmail customers who use Gmail in twin panel mode, horizontal area like that is priceless.
Additionally, within the minimized sidebar view, it hides all the e-mail labels and choices exhibiting solely the Meet, Chat, and Areas. This makes accessing the Gmail choices a two-step course of as you need to hover over the mail choice within the sidebar earlier than you could find all of the Gmail choices you want corresponding to Drafts, Essential, Snoozed, Trash, Labels, and many others.
Thankfully, you may disable the Gmail aspect panel in two alternative ways. You possibly can both transfer again to the outdated Gmail view and make all the things similar to earlier than. Or, you may disable the sidebar within the new Gmail view whereas nonetheless having fun with the brand new redesign.
Disable the New Gmail View
Disabling the brand new Gmail view is as simple as it could actually get.
1. Open Gmail in your favourite browser, then click on on the Cog icon on the prime proper nook to open Settings.
2. It’ll open the Settings within the sidebar. You must discover the Return to the unique Gmail view choice. Click on on it to disable the brand new Gmail sidebar and revert to the outdated view.
However that choice could also be eliminated prior to later when Google thinks the transition has been profitable. In that case:
1. Click on on the See all Settings button on the prime.
2. Choose the Unique View choice within the Fundamental menu underneath the Normal tab.
3. After deciding on, scroll down and click on on the Save Modifications button with the intention to reload and use the outdated Gmail structure or UI.
Disable the Sidebar in New Gmail View
You possibly can simply disable the brand new Gmail sidebar by disabling the Meet and Chat choices in Gmail settings. As soon as completed, the sidebar can be gone together with the choices. To try this:
1. Open Gmail within the browser and click on on the Cog icon on the prime proper nook.
2. Within the Settings that ought to open within the sidebar, click on on the See all settings button on the prime.
3. In Settings, go to Chat and Meet tab from the highest bar.
4. Right here choose Off subsequent to Chat. Then choose the Conceal the Meet part in the primary menu beside the Meet choice.
5. As soon as completed, click on on the Save Modifications button.
Gmail will reload however you shouldn’t see the sidebar with further Gmail app shortcuts like Meet and Chat.
Meet and Chat on Gmail
By switching again to the outdated view, you may nonetheless entry Meet and Chat choices in Gmail’s native sidebar. So you may benefit from these providers even with out losing area on sidebar. The sidebar merely makes it simpler and faster to entry if that’s what you want.
On the flip aspect, with the second technique, you’ll disable the Chat and Meet choices utterly. They gained’t be accessible on Gmail anymore. So select your technique relying on whether or not you need to use Meet and Chat time to time or need it gone utterly.